Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Ode to Running

I signed up for another 1/2 marathon, I am not sure why, and I am not sure how, but I did it. Not only am I running 13.1 miles but I am doing it at 6,500 ft and on a trail. No I have never run long distance at elevation, no I have never done a trail race before, and no I have not been training for the last 3 months. So this should be fun.... I have written a training schedule that will include 4 runs a week, 2 cross training days, and 3 lifting days. I am just going to start crushing and snorting ibuprofen.  So in honor of getting back into running and all that comes along with it. Here is my Ode to running (Sounds fancy right?)

Ode to Running

Here's to the early mornings to beat the heat, the half drunken stumble you do out the door at 4 am to try and get 10 miles in. 
Here's to the gallons of peanut butter, vaseline, body glide, goo, powerade, and water. Which you may  or may not consume in any particular order. 
Here's to proudly (ish) leaving your house wearing spandex and a fanny pack around your waist. 
Here is hiding your fanny pack and spandex when friends come over. 
Here is to the small wave, the high five, the nod, or the please dear god call 911 that you give your fellow runners on early Saturday mornings. 
Here's to act like its no big deal when you consume more calories than a baby calf after a 10 mile run then proceed to crash in a pool of your own sweat and happiness. 
Here is to significant others who dutifully pop blisters, wash your god awful laundry, stretch you when you feel like your muscles have been replaced with concrete, and stay with you in spite of it all. 
Here's to new races, new shirts, and new stickers
Here's too spending way to much money in pre race exhibit halls. Hell, here's to spending too much money!
Here's to new shoes every other week that cost more than your car payment but promise to stop your shin splints forever. 
Here's to having an excuse to eat pizza and drink beer (carb loading)
Here's to enjoying the hell out of yourself and learning to step outside your comfort zone. 


I guess that wasn't really and ode. In fact I don't really know what an Ode is. Lets call it a cheers, yes. Cheers to running and runners!


No comments: