Monday, February 24, 2014

weekly food prep

Food prep is not always fun but it is necessary. It keeps you on track, makes you more accountable and keeps your bank account happy. If I don't prep my food I binge and when I fall off the wagon I hit the wheel, get crushed under the wagon, and then get dragged for miles. 
So here is a look into a day (or two) of weekly food prep. 

Step 1: make a menu and grocery list 
You have to decide what you want to eat before you go to the grocery store. 
My weekly list of food 
Breakfast: Smoothies
Lunch: roasted veggies, brown rice, and grilled chicken
snacks: carrots, apples, hard boiled eggs 

Step 2. Grocery shopping
I try to do this the day before so that I don't get too tired and cranky while dealing with the general public to come home and cook. People, grocery carts, screaming children, its just so much fun. 
I use a mixture of fresh, frozen, in season, out of season, sale items and coupons to figure out what I want to eat. 

Step 3: prep your food to cook

Lunch:
I had a craving for roasted vegetables so I picked up what was on sale and in season

I used garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil to season them

Then Stuck them in the over @400 degrees for 30 minutes
I put them on foil to make clean up nice and easy!

I seasoned the sweet potatoes with olive oil, kosher salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg
then into the oven at 400 degrees for 40 minutes or until crispy on the outside and soft inside



while my vegatables were in the oven I started the brown rice and grilled the chicken. I also peeled, chopped, and put my carrots into snack bags. 

here is what they all look like put in pretty containers!

rice:
salads:

Smoothie Prep:
I picked up frozen, strawberries, black berries, blueberries, raspberries, mangoes and fresh bananas
I cut the bananas up and then throw them all into bags at random. This is not a very scientific formula, I just throw what sounds good together in a bag and stick it in the freezer :)

 now in the mornings I can just throw the fruit in a blender with almond milk and I am good to go!

Step 4: Clean up
ignore this step and have a glass of wine. 
(this is my favorite step)


Every day is a fight with the fat kid, he screams PIZZA MF'er!!! and I scream back GRILLED CHICKEN.. WITH ROASTED VEGGIES. BOOM BITCH!
and then I eat my veggies and this wow this taste nothing like pizza. 



No comments: