Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A Festivus for the Rest of us

I know I have said this a hundred time before but I love food. Looove. Love. LUUUUUUHHHHVE. 
I love watching food network and travel channel. I love looking at the food catagory on Pinterest. I love reading recipe books and trying new things. I love cooking, baking, experimenting. But most of all I love eating the things I buy/make or the things people make me. The holidays are hard to be good and I have had more bad days than good. I have had booze, sweet treats, pork and other miscellaneous works of the Devil (or just devils food cake). I am also finding that I seem to be more hungry than I normally am. I have no idea why but as soon as I finish one meal I am planning my next.  I just came back to work after 6 days off and now that I am on my new schedule I have spent most of my time sitting in a lazy boy and drooling into my salad as I watch Man Vs. Food. I think I could be a competitive food eater. 64 hot dogs in 12 minutes? DONE. 
Hmm that makes me think of whole hot dogs traveling though my arteries, that might cause a heart attack (but what do I know?!).
The good news is I have been really good about working out. Not every workout has been at the gym, I tried a few new things to change it up and not let myself lull into gym boredom. I took the dogs for  a walk/trip to the dog park. Walking my dogs is a cardio workout as well as a strength workout. I know some of you are reading this and wondering "Lauren, how can walking dogs be a strength workout?" well let me explain... I have 3 dogs, all 3 weigh 60lbs or more and are a tad bit psychotic. They are friendly and super sweet but they love to run and feel the wind beneath their paws and when there is 130+ lbs of dog dragging you down the road, you use every muscle in your body to reign them in. Until you just give up and run with them (this is where the cardio comes in). Now that I think of it, it's also a core workout because you are trying to hold yourself upright.  The other out of gym workout I did was an impromptu trip to Jumpstreet. Now if you have never been I recommend kidnapping your kid/niece/nephew/cousin etc etc and taking them for the afternoon of your lives(you need a kid to make you look legit and not like a creepy pervert). There are trampolines EVERYWHERE! they have trampoline dodge ball, trampoline aerobics, or you can just jump. Because we did not know we were going until 2 minutes before and we were going with our nieces(ages 2, almost 2, and 3), nephew(almost 5), and my cousin(almost 13) we didn't think we would be jumping. I thought we would watch the little ones tumble around and grown ups would be restricted to the hard surfaces. Well I was mistaken, I was allowed to go jump with the kids and because I spent most of Jr. High and High School on a competitive cheer team. I was very familiar with the trampoline. My parents also bought me and my brother one so as soon as I walked in I started grinning like an idiot and trying to figure out how to get on one. My lovely sisters in law handed over there passes and off I went. We spent just over an hour there playing with the kids. I had a blast!!! But if you have not jumped on a trampoline in a couple years like me, the next day you will be sore in places you forgot you had. I can't wait to go back and play on the big kids (SHUT UP, I know I am an adult) trampoline and try doing all the stuff I used to do in cheer. This will probably end with a trip to the ER but I am OK with that. 


So now we are going into the holiday countdown. I still need to finish Christmas shopping, I still need to bake, and I still need to wrangle my love of fudge. I will not restrict myself during the holidays, I will eat in moderation and not let myself overdo it but I will still let myself enjoys the foodie goodness. I will also kick my workouts into overdrive. Its time to kick my ass... Running, Jumping, Walking, and Lifting. GAME FACE!!!! It will be a festivus miracle :)

No comments: