Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Quitin cold turkey

I am a paleo failure.

I tried it, I really did. I tried to be excited about trying something new and being a sprouts shopping, coconut milk drinking, no preservative hippie but that shit is not for me! I found that the more I tried to be good, the more I cheated. If I put a million limits on what I can eat then I just get cranky and pissy. Hangry became a constant state for me. So I stopped. That easy, I quit eating hippie shit cold turkey... impressive I know :)

That's not to say that I didn't learn something from it or that I am going to scrap every paleo tendency from my diet. I am going to continue to cut back on my grains, dairy, and sugar. Not because its paleo but because I honestly did feel better. I just can't cut it completely. As soon as I type that, a small but very competitive part of my brain screams out "Quitter!!!, what a sissy! You just don't have the willpower!" but I feel like this is the right decision for me and the fat kid. I have to walk this very fine line of not giving myself too much slack (because I will give an inch, take a mile) and not being too hard on myself.

I will continue to try and not put cheese on everything I eat because lets be honest, my breakfast,  lunch, and dinner don't really require a heaping portion of gooey gooey goodness. It makes it taste much better and but I don't have to have it. That was a revelation for me thanks to paleo.

So as I prepare my food for the week (a little late this week) I am trying not to think "paleo" or "hippie" but just healthy and good for me.

prepped foods:

roasted zucchini with garlic, salt, and pepper
roasted broccoli and bell peppers with garlic, salt, and pepper
grilled chicken
carrot sticks
egg whites


and for the sake of keeping myself honest... todays food diary

not my best day but not my worst either...

Breakfast:
egg whites with bell pepper and ground turkey

snacks:
trail mix
granola bar

lunch:
prime rib sandwich with cheese on rye (no mayo!!)

dinner:
avocado chicken salad lettuce wraps
with grilled peaches

I also went to the gym

10 min warm up on the stairmaster
30? 45? minutes legs
leg press 3x15 with 180lb
3x15 lunges with 30 lbs
3x20 box jumps

3x10 overhead press
3x10 curls

10 minute aaaaabs
50 crunches
25 reverse crunches
20 bicycles
20 floor wipers
3 rounds

No comments: