Tuesday, October 18, 2016

IMAZ 70.3 Race Report

Ironman 70.3 numero tres is in the books
I even managed to squeak out a PR
I came out of the water at 40:18
5 min in transition
Off the bike in 3:39
Another 5 min in transition
And 3:12 on the run
Totaling up to 7:38
This is a 15 min PR on this course and a 2 min PR from Oceanside
This is not my “A” race for the year so I am happy with the outcome especially because I didn’t push it on either the bike or the run.

The morning started out like any other race morning
The alarm went off way to early (3:45)
I grabbed some food, made the coffee and settled into the truck for the drive down to Tempe
Once we were down there I started setting up my transition
I usually handle this like a child, I pull all my crap out of my bags, make a huge mess and sit on the ground as I organize it.
This is also part of the reason I like to be there early, I can make a mess and clean it up before it gets too packed.
By 6 am I was body marked, set up, and out of transition
Because I was in a later heat that meant I still had 2 hours to hang out
2 hours to think about the day
2 hours to contemplate the meaning of life
2 hours to lube up and get into my wetsuit
Justin was out of the water and on the bike before I even stuck a toe in
I wasn’t a huge fan of starting this late, it meant I was going to be in the heat longer and I was going to have to fight through the other waves of people
Once I was in the water I found my way to the front
My coach had given me the ok to push as hard as I could in the swim and I wanted a front row spot
The gun went off and the washing machine started
Women thrashing, kicking, and swinging their way into a freestyle rhythm
I took a pretty good hit to the face when I caught someone’s elbow, luckily they hit my goggles and didn’t break my nose.
This swim felt looooonnnnng
For IMAZ 70.3 it’s an out and back swim in the shape of a rectangle and you swim counter clockwise
They have yellow buoys so you know where to go and at the red buoys you turn.
On the way out I tried to stay as close to the buoys as possible, so close that I accidently ran into 2 or 3 of them
Eventually I started thinking ok, time to look for the red buoy. It has to be coming up
Yellow Buoy
Yellow
Yellow
Where is the goddam red
Yellow
Yellow
Seriously how long is this course?
Yellow
Ok, I give up. Time to take off my goggles and see where this stupid buoy is
Oh.
It’s 12 inches in front of my face.
TURRRRNNN!
I checked my watch at the 2nd turn (halfway point) and I was under 20 min
My goal was 40 or under so I put on the rocket boosters and did what I could to stay at the front
I started passing swim caps that left before me and before I knew it I was coming under the bridge and making the final turn.
40:18, 2 min PR on the swim!
I let a stranger rip off my wetsuit and I headed into T2
I was a little winded when I came in so I took my time getting my shoes on, eating a PBJ sandwich, lathering what I thought was plenty of sunblock on (It wasn’t) and sticking my hand down my pants for the essential lubing of the chassis
My plan for the bike was consistency, I wasn’t going to push and I wasn’t going to tear up my legs.
I managed to stay in the 19 min range for each 5 mile segment
I was having some technical issues with my bike and the clicking sound was getting worse and worse as I went
I prayed that it would get me through the race and made a silent promise to get it to the bike tech this week
The IMAZ bike course is a convoluted mess of turn after turn with a few hills and one hair pin turn that will pucker you right up.
On my 3rd loop up to the hair pin turn I didn’t even try to make the turn.
I was tired, it was hot and the small amount of grace and coordination I do have was long gone.
I unclipped (which worried the volunteer) and walked my happy ass around that turn.
I let them know I was fine, just uncoordinated and headed back into T2.
I was so happy to get off the bike
Anytime I get to unwedge my ass off a bike seat I could cry with joy
I made it in at 3:39 this is pretty close to my previous bike time on this I same course but I used a lot less energy this time around.
I averaged just over 15mph, which for me is huge to keep that pace consistently
I walked into T2, went through my costume change (no shame in Ironman), re-lubbed, added more sunblock, grabbed my hat and headed out on the “run”
I decided after about 5 steps that I was not going to run this race.
I knew that even with a few days off I still had to jump right back into full training and I wasn’t eager to trash my legs.
I decided I could keep a 14:30 pace if I walked quickly and set my eye on that goal.
The 1st loop of the run was uneventful, a little lonely and I perked up big time when I saw my family
I asked Scott to walk with me for a while just to take my mind off the heat and walking
This is such a huge lifesaver for me, I am not big on talking to strangers and even an introvert like me could use some company after 5+ hours of alone time.
I started to chafe a little bit on my under arm and I thought about asking the athletes around me if anyone had lube.
Then I thought that might be a weird way for me to start a conversation with a random group of strangers
“excuse me, does anyone have lube?”
“No, don’t look at me like that! It’s for my arm chafing”
“ yes that really is a thing”
“Yes. Arm Chafing”
“Never mind”
I think the world of triathlon is one of the only places you can ask someone for a stick of lube and they don’t even bat an eye.
I knew I had an aid station coming up and I knew I had a friend at that aid station
So as I came across the bridge I asked Amy to see if they had Vaseline at her station.
They did!
As I came around the corner she held up her stick of lube and asked if I needed anything else.
The only appropriate response was some friendly sexual harassment
(I will spare you the details)
My mom and Sarah joined me for a few minutes, my dad stopped in, I high fived TDDS, and kept on trucking
As I started the 2nd loop Scott caught up to me again (He ran almost as much as I did)
He talked me through my aches and pains and said those magical words every triathlete longs to hear
“You have a chance to PR this”
Swoon, right?
No?
Ok.
Well those were exciting words for ME to hear
I still was intent on not running but I knew even if I kept my current pace I could PR
The last loop started to wear on me, the heat was intense, I could feel my sun burn, and there is very little shade on the course.
I was ready to be done and sitting in the AC
Before I knew it I was less than a mile out
Scott and my parents were there and kept me going
Scott let me know I had 6 min min to get to the finish line for a PR
I started running
Then I promptly thought “well, Fuck this” and went back to walking
Scott told me again, 4 min to PR
Crap. I am going to be so pissed at myself if I miss my chance at a PR because I was walking
So I ran or hobbled if you will
Ironman is a group of twisted souls so of course there is a hill right before the finishers chute.
I made it up the hill and my pain disappeared.
I high fived Amy, heard the announcer call my name and ran across the finish line
I was surrounded by awesomness, Julie was there to give me my medal, Scott and my family were waiting at the end of the chute for stinky hugs, and I was finally done.
70.3 miles in the books
I came out with some soreness, a wicked sunburn, some chafing, a blister the size of Texas, and a smile on my face
We grabbed some In N’ Out on the way home and I crashed
Well. First I had a mild panic attack about the full 140.6 then I crashed.
My big race is just around the corner.
I know I will get through it but I am scared.
Scared and panicked and scared
Thank you for everyone who came out to watch and cheer, all the volunteers, all the well wishers near and far
You were all with me on that race course and I couldn’t do it without the support.
Next up Ironman AZ 140.6
Don’t vomit
Don’t poop your pants
Don’t die
Cross the finish line before 17 hrs
Eat all the things












1 comment:

Jamie said...

Don’t vomit
Don’t poop your pants
Don’t die
Cross the finish line before 17 hrs
Eat all the things

I'm doing IMFL next Saturday. This is my new mantra. So happy to have found your blog. You'll do great at IMAZ!