Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Down but not Out

Monday started out great. I had my coffee, I was working EMS in Glendale (my favorite city to work in due to the amount of crazy people,stabbings, and shootings) and I was prepared to take down the fat kid. I was armed with salad, edemame, and water. The day was going pretty slow, we had only run 3 calls and they were all easy stuff. Except for the strangulated bowel call earlier that morning (I will let you imagine the smell). We were sitting at the station when we received tones for a Chest Pain call. The patient was waiting for us in their car on a busy road, we loaded all 400lbs of the patient onto the gurney and used a 4 man lift to raise the gurney. Sounds like things are going just nifty right? well about 30 seconds later when we tried to lift the gurney into the ambulance, I lifted and felt a shooting pain go down my side from my lower back to my leg. Now in my profession this is something you always hear about, lifting mechanics are preached about like Jesus' second coming. "Lift with your legs and not your back, don't lift more than you can handle, call for help, etc etc." So as soon as I felt my back go I knew It wasn't going to be good. I finished the call and went home after work. The pain started out as tolerable then quickly went down hill to unbearable. Luckily I married a Physical Therapist who just as quickly went to work on my back, I was set up with ice, stim, and evaluated. I reported my injury and off to the Doctor I went. The official diagnosis is Lumbar Strain, I go back today to get re-evaluated and hopefully cleared for work. But unfortunately this means I am also out of the gym, I am going to go later and try to use the bike for a little bit and just get some movement going. Being sedentary for this long is getting on my nerves. It also means that my caloric intake will be dramatically cut while I am not working out. It is salads, chicken and broccoli until I can start hitting the gym hard again.  

My weight loss goal for November was 10lbs, today is the 1st and I lost 5 lbs. I didn't hit my goal but I am trying to not let it bring me down, I am still down 15 lbs. I can't let this be an excuse to eat and eat and eat. I want to...I want to wallow in my fat sorrows with a pepperoni pizza and Dr. Pepper for company. bleh. The sad part is that I don't even really want those things, just the idea of them. I had a skinny peppermint mocha and egg white wrap from Starbucks today for breakfast and it was delicious. So I don't know why I want the bad stuff even though I enjoy the good stuff.

So new plan.... Eat better, fix the back, and enjoy it. Its not a death sentence, Fat last longer than flavor and I want to last as long as I can. 

No comments: