Monday, January 9, 2012

A day in the life....

 Picture 1: This is the red raspberry danish that I picked up and stared at for about 20 minutes, debating whether or not I was going to eat it. I looked at calories and fat, rated how good it would actually taste, worried about people finding out I had eaten, and finally put back in the basket where I found it.

 Picture 2: This is the back of the Red Raspberry danish...notice all the ingredients just for a freakin danish?! I think danishes should have less than 300 ingredients ( I may be a little over dramatic about that number) also notice the 350 calories just for a danish that would have taken me 2 seconds to eat, left me hungry, and probably tasted like shit


Picture 3: This is what is usually stocked in EMS rooms. When you haven't eaten a meal all day or are dead broke they are a god send but when you have carrots in the ambulance and you have to make the decision between the two, it can get very tricky


Picture  4: this is the fridge in the EMS room, I took this picture at night time so its pretty empty but if you can see its filled with soda, powerade, sandwiches, and water. I usually steal as much water as I can because I try to drink a gallon a day and this helps my wallet.


So this is what I battle every day. I look at the food, I pick it up, I think about it, I guilt trip myself, Imagine the look on my imaginary kids faces when I die from a heart attack and then I put it back...usually. Its hard and most of the time I try to stay away from them. Its also hard to get mad when the hospital is stocking these items for us at no cost, I appreciate all they do for us and like I said when you having one of those days when a breakfast, lunch or dinner break is nonexistent they are life savers. Some are better, some are worse. There is one hospital in the west valley that almost has water, apples, and oranges but there is one in the east valley that has bagels, candy bars, and chips...

ps: an EMS room is a room inside the ER of a hospital that is set aside for paramedics/emts to finish paperwork after we drop off a patient. 

No comments: