Wednesday, May 8, 2013

26.2 miles later

I survived and shockingly I even kind of enjoyed it. I never thought I would ever say that much less that I could see myself doing it again. Even that morning as I woke up and dragged myself to bathroom I could not sum up the energy to be excited about the run. I was like gumpy cat...

Husband: Yay this is everything you worked for!
Lauren:

 

Hubby: This is great music, aren't you excited??

Lauren:


Hubby: this is exciting, look at the crowd!

Lauren:



It was really hard to get over my anxiety, I was so terrified that I would fail. The thought of what I had to face for the next 5-6 hours threatened to jeopardize everything I had worked for. Luckily it got better, once I got out on the course I started to enjoy myself, its hard not to when you are running past stunning views of the ocean and some of the most expensive real estate in Southern California. I relaxed a little bit and started to think positive thoughts. The first 13-14 miles went really quick, there was so much to look at that it really kept your mind off of running. People lined the road to watch family and friends,they cheered, they laughed and they supported random strangers. Even the residents got into the spirit of things, they sat on their porches with cold water, snacks for the runners, and words of encouragement.  Around mile 15 my hip and knees really started to hurt so I had Scott bring me some more ibuprofen. Scott was nice enough to pack a back pack with about 75 pounds of random shit (sunscreen, extra goos, ibuprofen, water, powerade, bananas, oranges, etc) and he rode along the course on his bike with his mom, bouncing back and forth between me, stacey, and heather. Mile 20 is when it really sank in that I was running a marathon and that I still had 6 miles to go. I kept telling myself that 6 miles is no big deal, I had already ran 20 and 6 miles is just a warm up. Well those happy thoughts lasted until about mile 22. Don't let anybody tell you different, the last couple miles of a marathon kick your ass, they are mentally defeating. But this is where you put all of your sweat, tears, shin splints, cramps, and all out exhaustion into everything you have. You pull some kind of energy out of god knows where and you power through. The feeling you get when you finally cross that finish line is unlike any other. The exhaustion mixed with your emotions can be a royal mess but the empowerment, the feeling of achievement,  and the pride is completely overwhelming. It is one of the best feelings I have ever felt.  I understand now why people do this on a regular basis, its something to fight for, something to be proud of, and its something that you can share with only a few people.

After the race we all went back to the hotel to shower and change our of our running clothes. When I came back downstairs my parents had a pepperoni pizza and a tall boy of corona waiting for me (they know me so well) and if you are wondering... I did share my pizza (my dad made me).

Monday was a new experience, I have never been so sore in my life. If/When I run another marathon I will make sure to take the next day off, walking down the stairs took at least 20 minutes and my friend at work called me speedy all damn day. I could barely walk, it was more of an old man shuffle. I am still pretty sore today but I am at least able to walk without people asking me if I am ok.

I am taking this week off to eat what I want, not work out, and let my body rest. Next week I will be back on the egg white express to bikini town but for now I am just going to enjoy myself :)



Before I forget, I want to thank everyone who came out to support me, Heather, and Stacey. Thank you Scott, Mom, Dad, and Karen.

Thank you Heather and Stacey for going along with my idiotic plans

Thank you Larry and Krisha for watching my kids

Thank you random people with hillarious signs

Most memorable Signs:


  • Good Job random stranger!
  • WTF (where's the finish)
  • High five station
  • make this mile your bitch
  • Worst.parade.ever.     also    This is a weird Parade
  • Smile if you're not wearing underwear
Thank you random strangers for orange slices at mile 23

and last but not least....

Thank god its over!!! (for now...)


No comments: