Saturday, April 26, 2014

Just water, thanks!

Today was the first really hard day for the fat kid, I have had days where I wanted to cheat but didn't. I have had days where I was cranky but survived, but today was my first day outside my bubble of homemade foods and my strictly regimented meals. It was my first weekend, my cousin is in town and my usual form of family bonding includes alcohol...copious amounts of alcohol and food. I am half Mexican so it's in my DNA...family = food and alcohol. It was also my dad's birthday and we needed to celebrate. This all added up to a fat kid gauntlet full of cheese, beer, more cheese, beer, cheese again, and a beer nightcap.
I started morning with 7 mile run at 4:30 am, eggs, bacon, coffee, and a smoothie ( and that was just my breakfast). After a few near misses with popcorn and protein bars and a pep talk with the fat kid we headed downtown to meet my folks and show my cousin part of downtown phoenix. Which of course included killing time at a local bar with a killer beer selection and even better menu. By this time my quads were screaming for any tiny morsel of food, my brain was screaming for beer, my stomach was screaming for pizza and I was trying to reign it all in as the fat kid skipped merrily along. When the waiter came around I uttered the forbidden phrase at any great beer joint  "just a water, thanks!"
I really was starving and I felt a cheat coming on so I scoured menu for anything that might fit my parameters. I settled for brisket tacos... hold the cheese, the tortillas, and the beans. I just ate the brisket and red cabbage slaw which was actually delicious and it kept the hunger demons at bay. After we finished up there we met my parents at the arrogant butcher for an early dinner. I know you are thinking "Jesus Christ woman, you just ate the douchiest version of a taco ever. How are you still hungry! ?"
And my answer to that is... Hi. My names Lauren, welcome to my blog. Also... 7 miles,  you judgemental a hole.
It was also a few hours before I ate again, everyone ordered beers and appetizers while I stared at the ceiling and memorized my fingerprint pattern. Everything seemed to be covered in cheese, dipped in cheese, or just a plate of cheese.  My favorite phrase was uttered over and over again... just water, thanks!
But I survived and I enjoyed myself without binging and that says a lot right there. I don't need food to enjoy a night out, I can enjoy the company and conversation instead.  I ended up ordering a burger and side salad (no cheese, no bun). No beer, no cheese, no grains, no cheating.
All this being good has worn me out, time for bed at the party animal hour of 8:30.

No comments: