Friday, April 10, 2015

Prepping for Ironman

I try to do at least one race a year that scares the absolute shit out of me. It keeps me focused and I do better with a goal in mind. Ironman is beyond terrifying, that is why I am starting with a 70.3 or half Ironman. Prepping for Ironman has become a huge part of my life. If I am not running, I am biking or swimming. If I am not working out, I am researching nutrition theories, reading training books, or shopping for triathlon gear (the last one is my favorite). My bike trainer has become my new best friend, I can set up my bike, get some miles in, watch tv, and read my training book. 

My 16 week training plan doesn't start until July 1st so I am working on getting my nutrition in line and getting my baseline training where I want it. I read that before you start a 1/2 Ironman training program you should be able to run, bike, and swim comfortably for 1 hour. I can do all of those things for 1 hour at a time but not at the speed I would prefer. I have been working on getting my speed back and my endurance up. 
I have also been trying to make nutrition my main focus. I know how to train and I know how to eat to lose weight. I don't know how to do both. 70 miles is no joke and if I don't fuel my body properly I could run face first into the wall before I reach the finish. I have to put a lot of my focus on training my eating habits. The more weight I can take off, the better my body will feel. There are so many theories, books, plan, and opinions when it comes to what is right in the nutrition world. It can be daunting to try and figure it out on your own. I am trying to read as much as I can to get a well rounded view of whats out there. The most intriguing theory I have found is Metabolic Efficiency Training. This involves training your body to use your fat store vs carb stores. If you burn fat vs carbs you can go longer without having to constantly refuel. One thing I hate about long races is constantly sucking down race nutrition. I don't want to eat while I run, I want to get the race over with and fall face first into a large sausage and cupcake pizza (not a real thing but it should be) If I could run and refuel with pizza and beer I would but for some reason people insist on water, gatorade, and goos. 
I forgot what I was talking about. 
.
.
.
Nutrition! 
MET also involves training at a lower intensity to trick your body into using your fat stores for longer burning fuel vs the quick energy you get from carbs. 
Image result for science meme 
I looked into hiring someone to tell me how to do this but as it turns out nutrionists are slightly outside my Ironman budget. 

Plenty of triathletes have finished races without trainers, nutrionists, million dollar bikes, and tri suits that wipe your ass for you. If Dave Scott can win Ironman on 10 bananas I can figure out how to eat the right food to fuel my body
right?
right. 
well..maybe.
Image result for science meme 

My brain says the best way I can succeed as a triathlete is to give this everything I have, push myself, and be the best possible shape before I start my training program.  This means strapping on a feedbag full of lettuce when I want a bowl of ice cream with a kalua drizzle or my own pizza topped cupcakes (seriously, can someone get on this?). It means swimming/biking/running when I want to watch binge watch netflix until I forget what year it is. 
It means (as a good friend reminded me) embracing the suck. 


No comments: