Monday, April 13, 2015

Racing Recap and Tacos

Yesterday was my 4th sprint triathlon, Lifetime Tri Events Marquee at Tempe Town Lake. 
I am by no means an experienced triathlete but I have figured out enough through trial and error how to not make (too big) of an ass out of myself. Not that it really matters at triathlons, you are surrounded by the most amazing and supportive group of strangers you will ever meet. I was struggling in the middle of my run yesterday, no matter what I do I tend to fly out off of my bike and out of transition 2 at around an 8:30 pace. I am in no way shape or form an 8:30 runner, my body likes the 12 min zone, every now and then I can hold a 10-11 min pace but that usually involves a lot of downhills. So this 8:30 pace usually lasts about a mile before I can convince my legs that this was a terrible idea and we need to slow the F down if I have any chance of not dragging them behind me across the finish line. After I finally slow down I start the wogging portion of my day....
walk...jog...gasp...repeat. 
I get a lot of "good job buddy! You got this! Almost there!" during this time. 
This leads me to believe that I look very pained or constipated
Either way, these strangers who don't know you, your history, or what brought you to this point are trying to help you finish. 
This never fails to amaze me. 
I am a head down, head phones in kind of runner. Partly because I am shy, partly because I tend to make poop jokes when feel uncomfortable and this usually does not go over well with a stranger. 
(sometimes they laugh and that is how I have met 90% of my friends)
You're not allowed to use headphones during races so I don't have the option to be unsociable. 
I held a conversation with a perfectly nice stranger yesterday, he was just begging for someone to talk to him during the last leg of the race. I was clipping along back at my 8:30 pace to finish the last mile when I heard a guy I had just passed yell " great job! seriously that is like a sub 9 minute mile! the finish is just around the corner! great job! is this your first race? are you training for a specific distance? "
He fired these questions off rapid fire
in my almost to the finish line haze I actually responded
Thanks... yes its an 8:30 pace... thank you for noticing? yeah just a mile left...thanks... no this is my 4th... IMAZ 70.3...gaaaaaassp ( this pace is not conducive to talking)
stranger: thats awesome! what about a full? when are you going to do a full?
Me: snort... gasp... snort... 2016 is the plan
Stranger: you should volunteer this year!
Me: are you human? snort...cough...
Stranger: you are pulling away, push to the finish!
me: Ok... thanks! take..luck..

That was just the run. 
I also managed to blow a snot rocket onto one of the elite/pro athletes. 
Those guys come out of nowhere!
I looked behind me, all was clear... I blew my nose to the right...then blew it to the left, right as a blur in a leotard flew by. I couldn't even tell you if it was a male or female. All I know is they got a face full of grossness. 
For that I apologize, I am so so so sorry. 
Nobody deserves that. 

The swim went well, the water was so much cleaner that my last race. I didn't have to fight my way through bushes or dead bodies. (joking! kinda..) only live ones. It was colder that I was planning for so Heather and I were some of the very few and very brave no wearing wet suits. It was our own Arizona polar club. I am not convinced I really need a wet suit but everyone seems to think they are the best thing next to wearing floaties in the water.
My shoulder is pretty pissed off today but open water will do that. 

I ended up taking 17 minutes of my previous time on that course. Its amazing what taking 20 lbs off your body and a decent training plan can do. 
(I can hear my husband rolling his eyes)

This race has me so damn excited for whats to come. I am ready to dive into training head first and not come up until an athlete resurfaces. I hope the athlete in me manages to hold the inner fat kid under the water until he shuts the hell up. He is usually the loudest after a race, yesterday was no exception. I finished the race, grabbed my medal, watched Heather come in, loaded the car back up, and hit the first drive through I could find. 
A jumbo jack has never tasted so good. 
I won't go into details but it wasn't pretty. 
I am just now starting to get over the post race fat kid hump. 
The raging hulk hunger has mostly subsided and I am not sitting in a ball of shame surrounded by empty take out boxes so that I will call that a win. 
My food is prepped for the week and I am ready tackle whatever comes. 
Even if the fat kids rears his ugly head again, I will wrestle his ass to the ground and hog tie him. 

Food for the week:
Breakfast: Smoothies, Scrambled eggs with ham, cheddar, and tomatoes 400-500cal

Lunch: Green lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and homemade turkey meatballs 300cal

Dinner...

Guess... 

Seriously you won't get it...

Guess!

SALAD WITH CHICKEN!

calm yourself.
I can barely handle the excitement 


#truestory
Image result for how i would get kidnapped free tacos

No comments: