Saturday, July 4, 2015

Training Week 1

Well I am officially into my 16 week training program for my first half Ironman (HIM). I am exhausted and a little worried that I am this tired after just week one. I am hoping that its the combination of starting a new program, going back to work after 5 days off, and the exhaustion that comes with travel. My program involves working out 5 days a week, 2 rest days, 2 long work out days (Sat/Sun...good luck getting me to stay up past 7 pm those days), and a whole lot of eating. I generally require quite a bit of calories to keep me going but my hunger the last few days has been unreal.  I feel like I never stop eating. I have made a conscious effort to really focus on the kind of calories I am getting and not just the volume. I also decided to give up a few of my guilty pleasures while I am in training because honestly as much as I love pizza, I couldn't figure out how it was going to help me cross the finish line. The finish line is my real focus right now and for the next 16 weeks I have to make it my biggest focus. I will not cross that finish line if I half ass anything, training or eating. I also decided to cut cream from my coffee because I don't need the extra crappy calories, I would rather use them up on another egg for breakfast or a cheese stick with my lunch. Booze is the last thing I cut out (except for Heather/Jolynns Birthday in August). Again it is something that I enjoy but its not going to help me get to the finish line and since these days 1 glass of wine gives me a monster hangover I can't really afford that if I have to get up and run at 5am... 
I also can't afford the 5 rolled tacos I usually enjoy while hungover. 
I know it will get better, I know after a few weeks I will feel stronger and my endurance will increase day by day but right now I am shaking in my spandex. That's probably a good thing, it means I will take this training seriously and work my ass off to push my fears to the side. This is also a much more intense training program than what I have done in the past, even training for the marathon was just a few runs during the week and a long run on weekends. Nothing major... This is major and its pretty freaking cool. Sometimes I have to remind myself of that. 

So the next 16 weeks involve a lot of sunscreen, a lot of "chassis" lube (I found an all natural one that I love so that is exciting), a LOT of food, a lot of sleep, a lot of training, and a whole shitload of laundry. 

No comments: