Saturday, May 3, 2014

Riding off into the kale sunset

This week was my 3 year wedding anniversary and when I started this whole30 journey I promised myself that I would give myself a break to celebrate our anniversary. So all week I focused on just getting to our staycation that we had planned. I ordered salad when we went out, I brought only homemade food to work for lunch, and I avoided the dairy aisle like the plague. 
When we arrived at the resort Friday night I was STARVING, I had looked forward to dinner all night long and I had barely eaten throughout the day. Also as luck would have it, my allergies decided that Friday would be the perfect day for a full on assault of my senses. So I loaded myself up with allergy meds, dayquil, nyquil, and the resolution that I would not in fact get sick (didn't work). The hotel sent up Champagne and chocolate covered strawberries (this is not going to get gross, I promise you can keep reading). Now I have not had any dairy, processed  junk, or grains in 3 weeks... this might not have been the best way to reintroduce the fun stuff back in. We split the bottle of champagne, I killed the strawberries and then I continued to burp and gurgle. Luckily my husband thought it was hilarious so he loaded a slightly tipsy and definitely gassy Lauren into the truck to go to dinner. He couldn't have picked a better place for dinner... we went to the restaurant where my brother works, Lons at the Hermosa. If you are looking for a verrrry nice ($$$$) place to eat with great atmosphere I highly recommend it. It is worth the money! My brother sent us a bottle of wine and some appetizers which again were amazing. My stomach did not know what to do with itself, and I have to say I was a little worried that it might revolt and ruin the night. I had a stern talking to it before we left. It went a little something like this... 


We started with a bread basket, followed by pork belly in a steamed bun, then chicken tortilla soup, tomato soup with pork belly grilled cheese, pork spare rib, a ribeye, lots of wine, and topped off with a cowboy candy bar. Lots and lots of good food, by the end of dinner I couldn't take another bite without risking vomit. 
I didn't vomit and I found a way to somehow be ready to eat breakfast by 6am... Like waiting outside the restaurant not so patiently at 6am hungry. We managed to wait until 7 when they opened and then I did bad things to the breakfast buffet. 
Can we just take a moment to thank whatever culinary genius came up with the breakfast buffet? 
Croissant? Got it. Cheese blintzes? I'll take 2. Salami and cheese plate? I'm not sure why this is out here but its going on my plate. Pork? done. More pork? yes please. Chicken sausage? Absolutely not. Donuts? 2 please while  I wait for the egg guy to finish up  my ham, cheese, tomato, and egg white omelet(for my health). 
We wrecked the buffet. 
I am not even ashamed, I would have eaten more cheese if I could. 
But this also tells me how big of a hold bad food has on me. 
It was also harder than I thought to get back on the wagon. I didn't really climb on as much as I ran along side it, jumped and missed a few times, ran face first and bounced off it a few times, and then somehow fell on the wagon. 
I was so tempted to cheat I made myself get up and make a full on Whole30 meal for lunch. No salad and grilled chicken today. I followed that up with a trip to sprouts for my weekly list of hippie shit and another Whole30 meal for dinner. I kind of feel like I am back on the wagon, I am still looking back over my shoulder as we ride off into the kale sunset but I have firmly planted my ass on the wagon. 
Also I want Pizza. 

No comments: